Make a Green Choice
Conserving water, energy and other resources is rewarding for you and great for the environment. Enjoy a $5 voucher at participating food and beverage outlets or 500 Starpoints® awarded at check-out for each night you decline housekeeping (except day of departure).
Scroll down to learn more about the specific green initiatives we have implemented in each of the departments throughout the hotel. It feels good to conserve. Make A Green Choice.
To participate in the Make a Green Choice program, please tell us at check-in or look for the doorhanger in your guestroom.
One night can mean significant savings.
49.2 gallons is 787 cups, enough for 1 person to drink 2 cups per day for a year.
That's enough to run an Energy Star-rated laptop for 10 hours.
Save Natural Gas
Enough energy to heat a 400 square foot room at 70°F for 4 hours - when it's 10°F outside.
Fewer chemicals equals less toxicity in the environment. And that's good for everyone.
*All amounts estimated based on average guestroom size and materials usage.
The Westin Copley Place Green Certified Awards and Recognition
Hotel Association America
|The Westin Copley Place Boston is pleased to announce that it has received the Hotel Association of America: Green Key Eco Rating of 4 Green Keys for 2010. The Westin Copley Place Boston was given this award because it has shown national industry leadership and commitment to protecting the environment through its wide-ranging policies and practices. The hotel has mature programs in place that involve management, employees, guests, and the public, and which have shown substantial and measurable results.|
Green Hotels Global
The Westin Copley Place Boston joined Green Hotels Global, an online source for standardized environmental metrics on hotels worldwide. Hotel properties that are members of the Green Hotels Global program are differentiated to Travel Managers and Meeting Planners for their ability to accurately track and report the carbon footprint, energy consumption, water usage and waste generation associated with room-night usage and event bookings.
Learn more about Green Hotels Global.
The Westin Copley Place is one of four hotels in Massachusetts to receive a lodging Green Seal, recognizing our dedicated work towards environmental responsibility.
Additional Westin Copley Place Green Practices:
- Green Power Purchasing - 5% of all electric consumed at the WCP is from renewable sources such as wind and hydro electric 10% in 2012
- Daily Monitoring of all utilities through Energard
- Partnered with local Utilities and implement the follow Electric Saving Projects:
- Variable Speed Drives
- Guestroom HVAC Controls
- Upgraded Lighting From T-12 to T-8
- Direct Digital Control of Heating and AC Systems
- LED Lighting installation in all pertinent areas. $35,000 in addition LED lighting to be installed by mid August.
- Dimmable Compact Florescent Light where applicable in Meeting Spaces
- Removed all water cooled ice machines in all kitchens and back of house areas.
- Installed Motion Sensors in Linen Closet to turn off lights when not occupied
Everyday practices and ongoing initiatives:
- Escalators and Elevators turned off and on based on demand
- Install Steam Heat Coils for Guest Corridor Heating rather than Electric
- Utilizes Compact Florescent Light where ever possible. All guest rooms are equipped with CFL and LED lighting
- Utilizes Timers and Motion Sensors where feasible
- Utilizes Energy Star Rating System to Bench mark or facility to similar properties
- Active Members on the Boston Green Tourism Board
- Installed Reverse Osmosis Water coolers instead of Poland Springs
- Installed Waterless Urinals - 3rd floor Public Men's Room
- Waterless Urinals installed in 5th floor executive offices
- Pool & Hot Tub are both salt water based systems. This eliminates the production and haul of toxic chemicals to our hotel.
- Install 1.0 GPM Sink aerators in all 803 guestrooms replacing existing 2.2 gallon GPM. A reduction of over 50% of all water used in guest room sinks
- Earn EPA Grant through Massachusetts Waste Wise Program
- Single Steam recycling
- Recycling Cardboard - Cardboard is bailed and taken off site for reuse.
- Recycling of Office Paper - *Part of the single stream recycling program
- Recycling Florescent Light Bulbs- Our light bulbs are crushed here with the "Bulb-Eater" and sent to get recycled.
- Recycling Bottles & Cans -*Part of the single stream recycling program
- Recycling of Ballasts
- Recycling of Printer Cartages
- Composting of Food Wastes- Food Waste is placed in an organic digester and discarded into floor drains as harmless wastewater.
- Recycling of Pallets
- Recycling of old PC & Printers
- Donation of old banquet equipment for use at NON Profit facility's
- Recycling of kitchen grease for use as Bio diesel fuel: A&K Waste clean our grease traps using our grease to fuel their vehicles.
- Make a Green Choice program. Guests are rewarded if they choose not to have their room serviced by housekeeping.
- Reuse of Steam Condensate for Boiler Water & Heating Loading Dock: Instead of discarding condensate water into the drains, we use it for heat!
- Upgrading Freon Gas from R-22 to 404a Environmentally friendly
- Housekeeping Cleaning chemicals upgraded to Eco Logic Green Seal Products
- Pest Control partner utilizes IPM system that is environmentally friendly
- Sales Contracts are now paperless on USB for clients
- Use of Scanning vs Faxing
- Reduction of aerosol products
- Clean the World- all unused soaps, conditioners, and lotions will be sent to third world countries to aid those in need.
- Printers are defaulted to double sided print.
- Westin Green Team: Actively meeting to share and put forth additional Green initiatives.
- MeLink System- All kitchen exhaust hoods are controlled by this system that reacts to the heat within the cooking areas. Slowing down fans when not needed.
- Turner Fisheries bottles and distributes their own water.
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts 30/20 by 20 goals.
- HVAC systems scheduled per occupancy.
- All new equipment and appliances must be Energy Star Labeled.
- Participants of EnerNoc. We are asked to curtail electrical consumption during peak, critical times during the year.
- No Styrofoam policy!
- All low VOC paints
- Apex Wash System in F&B - eliminates thousands of pounds of packing plastics from entering landfills.
- Installation of all new advanced-troffer lighting. This reduced electrical consumption by 30% in all offices.
- All stairwell lighting was updated with new high efficiency lighting with electrical consumption reduced by over 50%.
- All guest room hallways were re-lamped with high efficiency bulbs and new high efficiency ballasts with over 30% reduction on electrical consumption.
- Boiler system is run by the "Hawk" system that has built in VFD's for motors and ensures the boilers run at optimum levels.
Our Awards / Certifications:
- 2010 Energy Star
- 2010 Green Seal -Bronze
- 2010 Green Key
- 2011 Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide: Environmentally Operations Award
- 2009 Recycling Champions - Save that Stuff
- 2009 EPA Honorable Mention award to Jeff Hanulec
- Garage lighting retrofit: Reduce electrical consumption by 50% in parking garage.
- Fluorescent dimming capabilities: Take advantage of new dimming technology by reducing energy used to illuminate fluorescent lighting.
- ECM motor technology will be used on all walk in refrigerators and freezers.
- Further reduce and hopefully eliminate the use of ALL aerosol products on property.
- Exploring nanotechnology on guest room windows that reflect back heat that typically enters the guest room. More to come!
- Wind and solar energy are not out of the question! The Green team will also be exploring the possibilities of utilizing these alternative energies into everyday use at the Westin.
What have we saved?
The following are statistics that show the energy savings over the past several years.
- Electricity: consumption in 2010 compared to 2007 shows a reduction of over 13%
- Water consumption in 2010 compared to 2007 shows we have saved 25 million gallons of water!
- Gas consumption is down 19% compared to 2007
- Steam has been reduced by almost a THIRD compared to 2007!
- Single Stream Recycling: Averaging over 130 TONS of trash annually